It's Challenge Me Tuesday over at Practical Scrappers. Today's subject is layouts and cards with 5 or more sides. I used the new My Mind's Eye Follow Your Heart (Be Amazing) collection to create this page about our Upper Peninsula vacation last summer.Step #1: A background of hexagons spanning kraft cardstock. I chose this design because my photo subject, the Mackinac Bridge, spans the Straits of Mackinac, connecting Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas.
Step #2: A selection of patterned paper from the 6x6 paper pad to mat my photo.
Step #3: Layered matting, so the photo will raise up a bit and stand out against the background. Raised adhesive also helps!
Step #4: Photo and title in place, with a few strips of patterned paper added to give the letters a shelf to rest on.
Step #5: Here's the scary part. I'm going to write my journaling, in my handwriting, directly onto the kraft cardstock. Must not be in a hurry, and must spell everything correctly!
Step #5: Here's the fun part. Embellishing.
- Mount title letters onto hexagons
- Cut out individual hexagons and scatter them around the page
- Use some hexagons along the edges as a border or partial border
- Cut hexagons in several sizes and layer them
- Place the photos at the top of the page and fill the bottom with hexagons
- Stitch around the hexagon shape (I sort of did this with my twine border)
Next week's Tuesday challenge is posted over at Practical Scrappers. Reader submissions are always welcome!