Decision #1 - with past experience as an avid cross-stitcher, I saw the x's not as letters, but as stitches and thus, as a design element
Decision #2 - with an embarrassingly large supply of black Thickers, I headed for those and pulled 22 X's from my stash
Decision #3 - with a desire to use a classic color combination, I decided to go with black and tan and pulled my favorite kraft cardstock
With those very basic decisions made, I started playing and eventually ended up with this border design...
...which eventually morphed into this layout. The final result surprised me. Not my usual style at all, but interesting. The Tim Holtz tissue tape borders at the top and bottom was a last minute decision that made me very happy.
I hope you'll consider giving this challenge a try. You have until the end of the month and there is a great prize! You can see that prize what the rest of the design team came up with here.